Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Interesting week so far. Kim Jong-Il has died.

Huge fan of Misery Index. Majorly political band with some serious talent that plays uncompromising, bone-crushing speed/death/thrash/grind metal. On a related note, I have been listening to Volumes (their album "Via" rated #1 fan-voted album of 2011 on lambgoat.com) and Vildhjarta's MÃ¥sstaden. I'm strongly dislike the djent guitar tone on these albums, the compression just drives me crazy. When I listen to a band like Tombs or Blut Aus Nord, I simply FEEL a lot more. Much wider palette. Something tells me that this detached, unitive "djent" tone is part of the genre, to make us feel alone, sparse, etc, but I don't like it.

"Caves of raw steel, the modern graveyard.
What human failures promise for us.
Day turns into night."

No comments: