Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Some scribblings of late (Film #8)

"The sexual interludes in L'Avventura leave one cold and sad: the early scene with Anna in Sandro's apartment, Sandro with Claudia outside the deserted town and later in the hotel room after his encounter with the young architect, Sandro with the high-class prostitute in the early morning. Never has "sin" looked less inviting. The sensuality, pleasure, guilt feelings and remorse of Fellini's characters are replaced by pervasive ennui and irritability, and the sense of the inability of any person to make contact with another even in the most intimate moments. Sex in Antonioni's world may stem from a desire to communicate, but it frequently takes the form of aggression and tired surrender to habit. Among his characters a life in which the sexual act has meaning or even gives pleasure seems unavailable and perhaps unimaginable."
From Jack C. Ellis' A History of Film, 1976.

Heavy stuff from L'Avventura and I'm currently working my way through another Antonioni film, hellbent on finally updating my film blog.

This is the first year (end of 2012/beginning of 2013) in which I can remember two 10/10 films in such close succession.

The Last Films I've Seen
1.  Amour, Haneke, 2012, 10.0.
It's bleak and brutal, it's so real that it's disheartening, but it's so real that it's inspired and beautiful as well.  Growing old is a very real challenge, and this movie pulls no punches.  I will write about it further in the future.
2.  The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Chbosky, 2012, 10.0.
Another hellish part of American life: High school.  I can honestly say I hated the experience for the most part and this film is brilliant in its humor and reality, and hidden darkness.  Another essay waiting to be written.
3. Colombiana, Megaton, 2011, 4.7/10.
Nothing wrong with a slightly conscious action/revenge flick with a pretty girl in it, is there?  The kids in South America aren't alright, alright? Alas, we get an opaque portrait at best.
4. Hawk The Slayer, Marcel, 1980, 2.7/10.
Yeah, I watched it.  So what?  I've been balancing my heady top 100 cahier du cinema film list with some really dumb action films.  I'm a professed lover of Coscarelli's The Beastmaster, but Hawk is pure crap.  The acting is terrible, Jack Palance is terrible, and the story was usually terrible.
Speaking of Cahiers' top 100,
5. Moonfleet, Lang, 1955, 6.2/10.
I really want to like this film, but it's a bit hollow for me.  I will definitely show it to children when (if?) I ever have any, but for now, I'm not sure I can recommend this film.  Good acting, enough seriousness to be a good adult/kid movie, but not put together well (strange for a Fritz Lang film).

No comments: