Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday the 11th

Well, week #2, Spring Quarter 2008 is done. I'll be working on my animated self-portrait all weekend, and I'm playing trivia again tonight at Eugene City Brewery.

We saw Celebration this week in Nordic film. Intense movie that I liked a whole bunch. It deals with sexual abuse, but also just family dysfunction in general. It's not for those that are easily disturbed, though perhaps they should ask themselves why they are being disturbed by a movie like this. Again, it's extremely intense subject matter. Has anyone seen Sleepers or The Woodsman? Celebration is the first Dogme 95 film

I tend to like realistic movies, and I'd say my favorite genre is Italian Neorealism. I saw a lot of similarities between the first Dogme and INR, and that's what I wrote my second reflection paper on.

The Portland trip made me quite happy. I finally got to check out the new complex of Herbivore Magazine, Food Fight, Scapegoat Tattoo, and Sweetpea Bakery. It was awesome. A Wilhelm Scream was amazing. I think the Bled, who were in the second show, are good, but I've seen em three times now and I just can't really wrap my head around liking them. HeavyheavyLowlow had some interesting riffs, and Dillinger Escape Plan were brutal and nuts, much like I expected. Let's just say blood was flowing from more than one of their wounds by night's end. Not really my deal.

No comments: