Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Twos-day

Going to Portland, Oregon tonight with my homey Ben for two (yes, TWO) shows that will be amazing. Originally I was staying in Eugene for Protest the Hero (see earlier posts), but that show has apparently been canceled and so Ben and I are heading north.

The first show features A Wilhelm Scream. I've seen em before at the exact venue, and I'd have a hard time passing up the experience again. Think Iron Maiden meets like.. the pop sensibilities of say.. Hot Water Music or even Bad Religion at times. You can't really categorize them though, I'd say. They're really really good. They're touring in support of The Unseen.

The second show is a band that really needs no introduction. Dillinger Escape Plan have been at the forefront of extreme music with every release of theirs, spawning numerous terrible doppelgangers and even a few decent knock-offs. No "extreme" or even metal band that has formed in the past 10 years can get away from citing them as an influence, either directly or from a band that inspired them that was first inspired by DEP. It should be interesting, though I'm not a huge fan. They'll be supported by The Bled and HeavyHeavyLowLow.

Also I want to do swing dance lessons. My friend Maia and I might start them -- anybody do those that knows anything? Lemme know. I used to know somebody that did them.

I'm excited to see some of my Portland friends and just kinda have a day out of Eugene for the first time in quite a while. Adieu.

1 comment:

Beth Anne said...

In regards to the dancing lessons: Last summer I took Salsa lessons. It was very fun. Since it was a beginners lesson, everyone looked ridiculous. No one felt silly when they messed up. I strongly recommend that you take lessons!!