Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Work suspension, The Bear, and General distance

I've been suspended from work for 3 days. I was late a few times and it is costing me. I've never been suspended before, and I must say, this is a wake-up call. From here on out, this is the new Cody.

I've been reading a very interesting and impressive account of the creation of The Bear, a film by Frenchman Jean-Jacques Annaud. I've not seen the movie, though my friend Kayla apparently has ursaphobia for some reason, and this movie has haunted her from childhood. I certainly plan on seeing it as soon as I've finished the book, which reads more as a fascinating account of the director's style, which is not auteurist in the least, but idiosyncratic, and features a pronounced obsession with being challenged. In this regard, I see a lot of similarities with Werner Herzog and Errol Morris. These filmmakers seem to approach life in a similar way.

No comments: