Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2 Months In... (Music #15) 26 February 2014

Today I'm going to write about an album that changed my life:
Virgos Merlot's "Signs of a Vacant Soul."

Interesting band.  Three guitarists, alt-rock vocals a la Alice In Chains or Stone Temple Pilots.  The music wasn't mind-blowing.  It was like slightly proggy and more artsy alt-rock, but my best friend at the time, Jason Baldwin, and his wife Janna and I all listened to the hell out of it, no pun intended (they were fronted by Creed's bassist, Brett Hestla).

Signs of a Vacant Soul - Virgos Merlot - Age, 19-20; Little known album by a little known band attempting to become mainstream and yet had a bit too much avant in them to make it (Three guitars, slightly offputting melodies). I will never forget rocking out to this group of songs on numerous occasions with Jason and how patient and nice Janna was to put up with it.

That's a note I wrote on facebook a couple of years back.

Still not impressed with the offerings of 2014 thus far.  Woods of Desolation's new album is decent, from what I've listened to.  Here's a link to "This Autumn Light," a track from it.  Next I'll check out the split between Drudkh/Winterfylleth split from this year, where they're covering tracks by Hefestos, Unclean, Sacriligeum, and Hate Forest.  Finally, for my music listening project of the day, I'll turn to the new EP by Blut Aus Nord, "Debemur MoRTi."

Then there's this.
Kinda cool.  Which artists have the most listens MORE than any other state.  It's not just who likes what more, but it's who likes what more than any other state.  Confusing a bit, but here's a better breakdown.

No comments: