Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lust For Life (Film #12) 11 February 2014

I finally watched Lust for Life!  Happened to be starting just as I flipped to the channel and so I sat and watched.  A couple of things struck me immediately.  The film isn't in French; Irving Stone may not be the most authoritative biographical source; finally, Kirk Douglas may not be the ideal choice for Vincent Van Gogh.  These reservations aside, the movie was good.  Well-shot, well-acted, and certainly making me more interested in the subject matter - the birth of impressionism, Gauguin, and Van Gogh himself - I though the film performed aptly.  I give it a 7/10.

Aside from that, my only real film thoughts this week have been of Ozu still, and I've reread a bit of his liner notes from the criterion things I have of him.  Neither the Lower Columbia College or the Longview Public Library have the book by Richie or Kiju/Miyao/Hirano.  To the top of my Amazon wishlist they go!

The Last Films I've Seen
1. Lust For Life, 1956, Minnelli, 6.7/10.

No comments: