Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Back to the Arthouse (Film #13) 18 February 2014

I won't be rating the entire film until next week, but I'm about 70% through the 3.5 hour World on a Wire and it's very good.  I also watched John Ford's "How Green Was My Valley" recently.

The Last Films I've Seen
1. Game Of Thrones, Pilot, "Winter Is Coming," 2011, Van Patten, 10.0.
I've watched this pilot several times and it never gets old.  Great acting, story, character development, and twists.  Great start to what has quickly become my favorite show of all time.
2. Game Of Thrones, Season 1, Episode 2, "The Kingsroad," 2011, Van Patten, 9.5/10.
The characters get more and more fleshed out here, and the only step back is that you can't top the first episode for revelations.
3. How Green Was My Valley, 1941, Ford, 7.4/10.
Too much religion holds this story back from an otherwise 10/10 masterpiece.  I loved the union struggle, the acting was spot on, and each character was well written.  You could tell this was a labor of love.  The cinematography by the prolific Arthur C. Miller was excellent and the music by Alfred Newman was also quite good.
4. World on a Wire, Part 1, 1973, Fassbinder, N/R.
What a strange, trippy movie!  I really enjoy this (I'm about a half hour into the second part), and I'm curious how it will tie together.  The second part has started even better, with more action and intrigue, and I have to say that this could be one of the better sci-movies, up there with Solaris.  I'll be writing more about it as a whole next week, after I've finished the entire movie.

No comments: