Saturday, March 15, 2014

Fretting About Music, Part 1 (Saturday Life #18) 15 March 2014

Though there are recordings on me playing a string or two on guitar whilst hanging out with my brother and my dad while quite young, I didn't really start playing guitar seriously until I was nearly 17.

David Adams was my first teacher, followed by guitar lessons from Luke something-or-other.  I took those for about 6 months.  I started taking music theory and that certainly augmented my learning.

It was weird realizing how much I'd been missing.  The band Tool (musically, but especially lyrically and conceptually) unlocked a series of doors.

To this day, when I consider a day well lived (a post I'm shaping up, an idea, for that matter, that I am shaping up), I find practicing the guitar an integral part.

Dave and I played together a lot at first.  He had a ton of songs he'd written out, lyrically and musically.  It showed me a world into being in a band.  We practiced a few times.  I met future close friend Shane at one of the practices.  I really wanted to play with my supremely talented Jason Baldwin, a friend of mine whose ability has been proven time after time in the animation industry.

I played with him, Harlan (a guitar player who lived down the street), and a drummer I can't remember?  I was playing bass at the time.  Then I started playing with Justin Ankenman, his friend Justin, drummer Matt Arnits, and guitarist Aaron Andersen.  It was a bit of a powerhouse, with me on bass.  We had fun.




No comments: